- Western Cape¹ (Cape Town) abbv. WC
- Northern Cape (Kimberley) abbv. NC
- Eastern Cape (Bhisho) abbv. EC
- KwaZulu-Natal (Pietermaritzburg²) abbv. KZN, KZ, or KN
- Free State (Bloemfontein) abbv. FS
- North West (Mafikeng) abbv. NW
- Gauteng (Johannesburg) abbv. GP or GT
- Mpumalanga (Nelspruit) abbv. MP
- Limpopo (Polokwane) abbv. LP
* On 18 August 2006 the Constitutional Court ruled that the part of the 12 amendment dealing with the transfer of Matatiele from KwaZulu-Natal to the Eastern Cape was unconstitutional due to insufficient consultation.
¹: The Prince Edward Islands are a South African territory in the sub-antarctic Indian Ocean, for legal purposes considered to be part of the Western Cape.
²: Pietermaritzburg and Ulundi shared being capital of KwaZulu-Natal during 1994–2004.