Friday, 06 February 2009

Nadine sings "Footprints in Africa"

South African artist, Nadine, sings a song she wrote about South Africa, and how she feels about her country.

The video starts with her words: "ek is baie trots op my land" (I am very proud of my country.)

Her message is a very positive one - of love for her country, and optimism about the future. Some may call it naïve, and it probably is.

However, if you take away hope - what remains?

Support her by buying her DVD, which can be found at kalahari.net

Translation of Nadine's song, "Footprints in Africa" (original Afrikaans title: "Afrika Spore")

Deur jou groot woestyn
-- Through your vast desert

Lê 'n reguit lyn
-- Runs a straight line

Loop my spore deur jou hart
-- My footprints reach through your heart

In jou hemelruim
-- Through your skies above

Teen die hoogste kruin
-- Across the highest peaks

Strek ons blydskap en ook ons pad
-- Reach our joy and our journey

As ek jou moes verruil
-- If I had to give you up

Sal ek ween, sal ek saggies huil
-- I will weep, I will shed silent tears

Afrika, jy sal in my agterbly
-- Africa, you will stay in my heart

REFRAIN:

Suid Afrika, ons sal staande bly
-- South Africa, we will remain standing

Suid Afrika, niks sal ons onderkry
-- South Africa, nothing will overcome us

Al sê die wêreld jy is verby
-- Even if the world says your time is over

Gee jy jou beste vir my
-- You give your best for us

Suid Afrika, dis die land van my
-- South Africa, it is the land of mine

AFFIRMATION:

Ons sal onthou waar ons vandaan kom
-- We will remember where we came from

En ons sal weet waarheen ons gaan
-- And we will know where we are heading

Neem my hand, ek sal vorentoe kyk
-- Take my hand, I will look straight ahead

En ek sal onthou om uit te reik
-- And I will remember to reach out

Hier waar ossewa spore rou lê
-- Here where oxen wagons carved their tracks

Dit is die plek waar my voetspore nou lê
-- This is the place where my footprints now lie

Ons sal lewe, ons sal steeds sterwe
-- We will live, we will still die

Ons vir jou, Suid Afrika
-- For our country, South Africa

No comments: